Wednesday, November 8, 2023

"Room, " by Emma Donoghue

 "Room," by Emma Donoghue


To five-year-old Jack, Room is the world. It’s where he was born. It’s where he and Ma eat and sleep and play and learn. There are endless wonders that let loose Jack’s imagination: the snake under Bed that he constructs out of eggshells; the imaginary world projected through the TV; the coziness of Wardrobe, where Ma tucks him in safely at night, in case Old Nick comes.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it’s the prison where she’s been held since she was nineteen—for seven long years. Through her fierce love for her son, she has created a life for him in that eleven-by-eleven-foot space. But Jack’s curiosity is building alongside Ma’s own desperation, and she knows that Room cannot contain either indefinitely.

Told in the inventive, funny and poignant voice of Jack, Room is a celebration of resilience—and a powerful story of a mother and son whose love lets them survive the impossible.


I am an honoury member of a book club in the UK.  As I am in Canada, I don't go to the meetings, but I do read the books.  So this is the first book I have read from this book club.


It's an odd book for a few reasons.  It's told from a 5 year old's point of view.  A 5 year old whose life so far has been limited to an elven foot by eleven foot square room.  I found the first part of the book, "Presents" quite confusing, but the more you get into the book, the more you get drawn into the story.


Without giving away what exactly happens, I found I could understand Jack's confusion with life, despite him being very intelligent.  We have a grandson of the same age.  The mental strain it put on the child and the mother being stuck in that room was so well thought out and written; for each one of them separately.  


When a child has only one person in his life and is reliant on that person, the bond that is forged is rock solid and you see that play out in this book.  I found it also very interesting on how the mother made things out of every day objects to keep Jack entertained and despite the fact they had a tv, he was only allowed to watch it for a limited time per day.


I will say I found the latter part of the book more interesting than the beginning.  I am guessing the book was inspired by similar situations that has happened around the world?


Stars out of 5 : 4  This would not be a book I would have picked out to read myself.  I am glad I read it.  It made you think.  There was a movie made in 2015 with the same name, Room.  I would like to see that, to see how different it was to the book.

1 comment:

  1. Radiant brilliance in your post! Insightful, well-articulated, and a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing your valuable perspective.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...