Thursday, October 2, 2014

"The Book Thief," by Markus Zusak

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. 


If I had to describe this book in one word it would be DEPRESSING.  Now that's not to say it was a terrible book; it's not a book to make you feel happy.  Of course the topic of this book is not one of joy.  Also it doesn't help the situation when you discover Death narrates this story as well.

I found the book to be a bit choppy, with the story jumping about a bit.  Liesel was a very strong character and despite Rosa's (Mama) way and language I ended up having a soft spot for her as well.  Rudy was a bright spot in the book and a true hero.  

This period of time was not one I hope is ever repeated again.  The way the book described the treatment of Jews, made me cringe.  I tend not to read or watch movies about the Holocaust so this is not my usual type of book.  It's our book club's selection for the month of October.  I would like to watch the movie though, as for once I think the movie may be better than the book.

Stars out of 5 : 3 Found it a bit hard to get into the book.  I didn't like the way Death narrated to story, and when I read a book I do it for pleasure.  There was no "pleasure" in this book due to the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...