Wednesday, April 10, 2019

"Murder at the Mansion," by Sheila Connolly

"Murder at the Mansion," by Sheila Connolly
Katherine Hamilton's goal in high school was to escape from her dead-end hometown of Asheboro, Maryland. Fifteen years later she's got a degree in hospitality management and a great job at a high-end boutique hotel in Baltimore. Until, that is, the hotel is acquired by a chain, and she's laid off. When Kate's high school best friend calls with a mysterious invitation to come talk with the town leaders of Asheboro, she agrees to make the trip, curious about where this new opportunity might lead.
Once Kate arrives, the town council members reveal that their town is on the verge of going bankrupt, and they've decided that Kate's skills and knowledge make her the perfect person to cure all their ills. The town has used its last available funds to buy the huge Victorian mansion just outside of town, hoping to use it to attract some of the tourists who travel to visit the nearby Civil War battle sites. Kate has less-than-fond memories of the mansion, for personal reasons, but to make matters worse, the only person who has presented a possible alternate plan is Cordelia Walker—Kate's high school nemesis.

But a few days later, while touring the mansion, Kate stumbles over a body—and it's none other than Cordelia. Kate finds herself juggling the murder investigation and her growing fascination with the old house, which itself is full of long-hidden mysteries.
Where to start with this review.  There are so many facets to this story and each one is as interesting as the other that it makes it a book that you don't want to put down.  I was sad when I finished the book, as although one part of the story is completed; the murder and "who-did-it;" there is still a lot more to be told about the characters and the town.
I think if I had to ask the author a question, it would be "where did you come up with the idea for this book?"  I had the large print version of this book and there were no authors notes in the back.  It does include a character who is actually a real life person and touches on what she did during the American Civil War.  I found that part of the book really interesting and will look into that person further.
This book is the first in the "Victorian Village Mystery," and have to say I will be looking out for the second book.  In fact I have emailed the author to see when it is due out (will update this review accordingly".  The characters in this book all made sense too the story .  I will say I did guess before it was revealed who committed the murder.  However there were a couple of twists and turns in the book that I didn't expect.
Stars out of 5 : 5 well worth reading and as I am not familiar with this author I can see me reading many more of her books in the future.
This is my own review; I borrowed the book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...