Friday, April 19, 2019

"Transcription, by Kate Atkinson"

"Transcription, by Kate Atkinson"


In 1940, eighteen-year-old Juliet Armstrong is reluctantly recruited into the world of espionage. Sent to an obscure department of MI5 tasked with monitoring the comings and goings of British Fascist sympathizers, she discovers the work to be by turns tedious and terrifying. But after the war has ended, she presumes the events of those years have been relegated to the past forever.

Ten years later, now a radio producer at the BBC, Juliet is unexpectedly confronted by figures from her past. A different war is being fought now, on a different battleground, but Juliet finds herself once more under threat. A bill of reckoning is due, and she finally begins to realize that there is no action without consequence.

Transcription is a work of rare depth and texture, a bravura modern novel of extraordinary power, wit, and empathy. It is a triumphant work of fiction from one of the best writers of our time.


This is one of those books that I think would benefit from being read twice.  As I found it a confusing book.  A lot of it didn't make sense to me, until I got close to the end, and then I had, "oh I get it," moment.  Make sure you read the author's notes at the end, as that also helps.

Stars out of 5 : 3 It's a short review as I honestly have no idea what to say about it.  I think if I read it again, I might get more from it.  However I am in no rush to read it..........

This is my own review; I borrowed the book from my local library.

1 comment:

  1. funny, this makes me want to read it to see if I have the same reaction as you. I would probably be more at a loss as to what is going on.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...