Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"Captured By Love," by Jody Hedlund

"Captured By Love," by Jody Hedlund

The British Army has taken control of Michilimackinac Island and its fort, forcing the Americans to swear an oath of loyalty to the crown in order to retain their land. Pierre Durant is a fur trader who returns after being away from the island for years, only to find the family farm a shambles and those he cares about starving and at the mercy of British invaders.

Torn between the adventurous life of fur trading and guilt over neglecting his defenseless mother, Pierre is drawn deeper into the fight against the British--and into a relationship with Angelique MacKenzie, a childhood friend who's grown into a beautiful woman. She now finds herself trapped by the circumstances of war and poverty, and the cruelty of her guardian, Ebenezer Whiley.

As tensions mount and the violence rages on, Pierre and Angelique must decide where their loyalties rest and how much they'll risk for love.


This book was a bit of a slow start for me; it took a few chapters for me to get engrossed in the story.  When I did I thought it was a good book.  The tension between the main character's Pierre and Angelique was well written and you could envision the sparks flying between them.

I personally don't know much of the history between the British and the Americans in the early 1800's so that too was interesting to me.  One part of the book did confuse me and that was the character Lavinia.  She seemed a pointless part to the story and her taking Angelique under her wing didn't fit in with the story I thought.

Stars out of 5 : 3.5 It was an okay book, but a bit of a slow start.  I will say you must read the author's note at the end as that is very interesting.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 

Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

1 comment:

  1. I found this book slow too. I would give it a 3.5 as well. Just too predictable for me

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...