Wednesday, December 27, 2017

"Where We Belong," by Lynn Austin

"Where We Belong," by Lynn Austin
In the city of Chicago in 1892, the rules and expectations for Victorian women are strict, their roles in life limited. But sisters Rebecca and Flora Hawes are not typical Victorian ladies. Their love of adventure and their desire to use their God-given talents have taken them out of society ballrooms and delivered them to the Sinai Desert--and into the teeth of a sandstorm.

Accompanied by Soren Petersen, their somber young butler, and Kate Rafferty, a plucky street urchin learning to be their ladies' maid, the two women are on a quest across the desert chasing rumors of an important biblical manuscript.

As the expedition becomes ever more dangerous and uncertain, all four travelers sift through memories and adventures of their past, recalling the events that shaped them and the journeys and providence that brought them to this very time and place.


I both loved and hated this book, which of course makes no sense what so ever, right?  The two lead characters, were great and I loved the details of their adventures and lives.  I felt though that the stories of Soren and Kate didn't really add anything to this book.  Yes, I would have included them as characters but I would not have given them complete chapters to tell their background stories.  I was bored reading about Soren.

I felt as though Soren and Kate would have been better to have had their own book.  However their story went one way then another, which again I thought was strange.

Rebecca and Flora's story though was very interesting and was well worth reading. Rebecca was an inspiration and Flora's heart and goodness showed no bounds, she was a good person through and through, as was Rebecca.

Stars out of 5 : 3 Please read the author notes at the end of the book, as this book is inspired by "real" people.  I am glad I read the book, but wouldn't want to read it again; as it was I will admit to skipping parts of the chapters that were about Soren's early childhood.  Something I don't normally do.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 

Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group
".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...