Saturday, December 28, 2013

"Orchard of Hope," by Ann H. Gabhart

"Orchard of Hope," by Ann H. Gabhart

It is 1964, and 14-year-old Jocie Brooke is about to have an unforgettable summer. Her father has found a new love, her hippie sister is about to have a baby, and her aunt is finally pleasurable to live with. But, when a black family from Chicago moves into the quiet hamlet of Holly County, Kentucky, Jocie finds herself befriending a boy that some townspeople shun. Due to the unspoken racial lines in this southern town, the presence of these newcomers sparks a smoldering fire of unrest that will change Holly County--and Jocie--forever.

Orchard of Hope, the riveting sequel to The Scent of Lilacs, takes readers along to experience unexpected love, fear, forgiveness, new life, and a deeper understanding of the value of each individual's story.


It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I couldn't put it down as it got more and more interesting.  One of the things that both fascinated and shocked me at the same time was the racial upset that occured.  As never experiencing something of that nature I can only imagine how frightening it must have been for people.  Both as victims and onlookers.  I thought the way Ann wrote that into the story was very well done.

It does help if you have read Ann's first book in this series Scent of Lilacs as the story carries on from where that one left off.  I see the next one in the series Summer of Joy is to be released in March of 2014.

Stars out of 5 : 3.5 I struggle getting "hooked," with Ann's books but when I do get "hooked" on the story I love the books, they just don't grasp me right from the very beginning for some reason?  I am enjoying this series of books and they are a well worth read.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...