Tuesday, February 6, 2024

"Lyrebird by Cecelia Ahern"

 "Lyrebird by Cecelia Ahern"



In the south-west of Ireland, rugged mountains meet bright blue lakes and thick forests. Deep in the woods, a young woman lives alone, forever secluded from the world, her life a well-kept secret. She possesses an extraordinary talent, the likes of which no-one has seen before: a gift that will earn her the nickname Lyrebird.

When Solomon stumbles into Laura’s solitary existence, her life is turned on its head. Pulled from her peaceful landscape to the cacophony of Dublin, she is confronted by a world desperate to understand her.

But while Solomon knows the world will embrace Laura, will it free her to spread her wings – or will it trap her in a gilded cage? Like all wild birds, she needs to fly free…

Lyrebird is a thoughtful, deeply moving love story; a story of the wild heart in us all and the quiet that lies underneath the world’s noise.


This book was chosen by the book club my mother attends in the UK.  Honestly it wouldn't be one I would have chosen for myself, but I am glad I read it.


This is a story of Laura who for all her life has lived in a solitary world, with very little contact with the outside world.  Through no fault of her own she is pushed into the spotlight and the world of showbusiness.  What happens next is in parts inevitable and is a lesson which everyone in her world learns the hard way.


I felt sad for most of this book knowing what was happening to Laura, I just wanted to pluck her out of the city and plop her back into her country cottage where she is the happiest.  She has people on her side, but first she has to get away from the others, who are trying "to help her."  Though in reality they are helping themselves more.


Meanwhile there is a complicated love story and an even more complicated back story to explore.


Stars out of 5 : 4 It's a different story, that's for sure.  It always amazes me the depth of authors imaginations when it comes to developing book ideas.  I am glad I read this book.  As I said at the beginning of this review, this would not be a book I would have personally chosen.


This book was borrowed from the library and the review are my own thoughts.

1 comment:

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...