Wednesday, January 24, 2024

My Name is Eva, by Suzanne Goldring

 My Name is Eva, by Suzanne Goldring


Evelyn Taylor-Clarke sits in her chair at Forest Lawns Care Home in the heart of the English countryside, surrounded by residents with minds not as sharp as hers. It would be easy to dismiss Evelyn as a muddled old woman, but her lipstick is applied perfectly, and her buttons done up correctly. Because Evelyn is a woman with secrets and Evelyn remembers everything. She can never forget the promise she made to the love of her life, to discover the truth about the mission that led to his death, no matter what it cost her…

When Evelyn’s niece Pat opens an old biscuit tin to find a photo of a small girl with a red ball entitled ‘Liese, 1951’ and a passport in another name, she has some questions for her aunt. And Evelyn is transported back to a place in Germany known as ‘The Forbidden Village,’ where a woman who called herself Eva went where no one else dared, amongst shivering prisoners, to find the man who gambled with her husband’s life…

I wasn't too keen on the start of this book.  It went back and forth between Evelyn's niece Pat visiting Evelyn in the care home and Evelyn writing letters to her husband during the war.  I was at a point of getting quite confused at what is going on.

Then it switched to more about what Evelyn did during the war.  The way this book was written, it was like a slow burn.  You kept getting more information but still had so many unanswered questions.  The more I got into the book the more I enjoyed it.

I felt sad for Evelyn.  I found the part when she said goodbye to her home really sad.  Knowing we are all going to get old one day and will this happen to us?  It did make me wonder if there are people out there who have actually "played," at being muddled? 

Stars out of 5 : 4.5  Once you have read past the first part of the book, it truly is a page turner.  Evelyn is a woman of immense patience.  Make sure you read the author's notes at the end.  Places in this book were actual places in World War II.

I purchased this book from Indigo for my own pleasure and will donate it. 

2 comments:

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...