Thursday, March 11, 2021

"All That We Carried," by Erin Bartels

 "All That We Carried," by Erin Bartels


Ten years ago, sisters Olivia and Melanie Greene were on a hiking trip when their parents were in a fatal car accident. They haven't seen each other since the funeral. Olivia coped with the loss by plunging herself into law school, work, and a materialist view of the world--what you see is what you get, and that's all you get. Melanie dropped out of college and developed an online life coaching business around her DIY spirituality--a little of this, a little of that, whatever makes you happy.

Now, at Melanie's insistence (and against Olivia's better judgment), they are embarking on a hike in the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. In this remote wilderness they'll face their deepest fears, question their most dearly held beliefs, and begin to see that perhaps the best way to move forward is the one way they had never considered.

This book makes you think.  Right from the very beginning you know you're in for a roller coaster of a ride with this book.  Not only through all the trials and tribulations they encounter while hiking, but also the emotional ups and downs of each of the girls.  Both these things brings out the best and the worst in each of these sisters and you are brought along for the ride.

if you have siblings, this book will make you think about your relationship with your own siblings.  I, like Melanie am a believer that things happen for a reason, so enjoyed that about her.  

Stars out of 5 : 4 I loved all the descriptions about the hike.  Starting out at the beginning of the book, it even got me dreaming about going hiking.  The more I got into the book, the more I realized how naive I was about hiking in the woods.  

The ending of the book was confusing for me and I ended up having more questions than answers.  So much so, I messaged the author for clarification on a couple of things.  She was very generous in messaging me back and cleared up the things I had questions about.  I cannot reveal what confused me, but if you read the book, I would be more than willing to discuss it with you.

 "Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell , a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...