Friday, October 5, 2018

"The Reckoning of Gossamer Pond," by Jaime Jo Wright

"The Reckoning of Gossamer Pond," by Jaime Jo Wright

For over a century, the town of Gossamer Grove has thrived on its charm and Midwestern values, but Annalise Forsythe knows painful secrets, including her own, hover just beneath the pleasant facade. Yet her strange and sudden inheritance of a run-down trailer home--full of pictures, vintage obituaries, and old revival posters--leaves her wholly unprepared for how truly dark and deadly those secrets may be.

A century earlier, Gossamer Grove is stirred into chaos by the arrival of controversial and charismatic twin revivalists. The chaos takes a murderous turn when Libby Sheffield, while working at her father's newspaper, receives an obituary for a reputable church deacon hours before his death. As she works with the deacon's son to solve the crime, it becomes clear that a reckoning has come to town--but it isn't until another obituary arrives at the paper that they realize the true depths of the danger they've waded into.

Two women, separated by a hundred years, must unravel the mysteries of their own town before it's too late and they lose their future--or their very souls.


So this is the second book by Jaime Jo Wright that I have read, the first was I reviewed is here.  I said in that review I wouldn't be reading any more by her, as I found that going back and forward between the two women's stories confusing.  However, I found this one a bit easier to understand as I now know how this author writes and know what to expect.

It was the same as the last book, you were kept on your toes, you need to pay attention to what is going on and when everything is revealed you will say "I would never have guessed that."  Annalise secret is revealed towards the beginning to the middle of the book, whereas Libby's is revealed closer to the end, so that was interesting.    The "whodunit" in Annalise story was a bit lack lustre, but Libby's made total sense and as I said I never guessed either.

I will say I do admire how Jaime's mind work when writing books, as you wondering all along how she came up with this story.  The authors notes do fill you in on it.

Stars out of 5 : 4.5 and a solid 4.5 at that.  Now that I have read a couple of her books I find it a bit easier to understand her writing.  Well worth the read, as long as you can bounce back and forward between the two stories.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 

Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group
".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...