Monday, December 29, 2014

"Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail," by Cheryl Strayed.

"Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail," by Cheryl Strayed.

At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State—and she would do it alone. Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.

This book was our December 2014 choice for our book club.  I had been looking forward to reading this since I had joined the club as this is my type of book, and I wasn't disappointed.  I had read a similar book about a man who had lost his wife to cancer and decided to walk the Appalachian Trail to also to "find himself,"  Hiking Through: One Man's Journey to Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail by Paul Stutzman  I did find Paul's book better, but each one had better parts to it.

In Cheryl's case I wasn't sure if I should call her brave or just plain stupid.  As some of the things she did just made me want to smack her and say "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING"!!!!  However what she did do many a person wouldn't or couldn't have done.  Losing most of your toe nails wouldn't be my idea of fun.  Carrying your weight in things you need wouldn't be fun either; but the scenery and the peace to reflect on life would be a once in a lifetime experience.

This book got mixed reviews at our book club meeting.  Although the majority of the people enjoyed the book; it was said that some poetic licence had been taken with certain parts.  As this happened a few years ago and the book was written recently, so the memory can change things.

The one thing we did all agree on, is that we want to see the movie.  That will be another book club outing for us all.

Stars out of 5 : 4 It was an enjoyable read, and I am glad I read it, but take some things she says with a grain of salt!!

1 comment:

  1. I have read and enjoyed the one by Paul Stutzman...I enjoyed it. Believe it or not I have looked at this one. I don't know why I keep looking at books since my kindle is almost full!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...