Monday, March 4, 2024

"Daughter's of War," by Dinah Jefferies

 "Daughter's of War," by Dinah Jefferies


Deep in the river valley of the Dordogne, in an old stone cottage on the edge of a beautiful village, three sisters long for the end of the war.
 
Hélène, the eldest, is trying her hardest to steer her family to safety, even as the Nazi occupation becomes more threatening.

Elise, the rebel, is determined to help the Resistance, whatever the cost.

And Florence, the dreamer, just yearns for a world where France is free.

Then, one dark night, the Allies come knocking for help. And Hélène knows that she cannot sit on the sidelines any longer. But secrets from their own mysterious past threaten to unravel everything they hold most dear… 

This book is set in rural France, during the Spring and Summer of 1944.  The Nazi occupation is coming to an end and the three sisters are being drawn into the war, whether they like it or not.

The detail in this book is so very interesting, the things they cooked, the way they adapted to shortages etc.  It also highlights the cruelties that the Nazi's were famous for.  However, it also highlights the strengths, the bravery and the sacrifices the civilians of France went through during this time.

I was hooked on this book from the get go and I just wanted to keep on reading.  I am a fast reader and it took me just over two days to read this book as there is over 500 pages in it.  Yes, I got very little else done while reading this!!

I didn't realize this was the first book in a series of three from this author.  The book was that good, I immediately ordered the next two books from the library.

Stars out of 5 : 5 Each sister was as interesting as the other was.  The way the author wound their stories and lives together but still making each sister's character as important as the other, made reading this book very enjoyable.  I can't wait to start the next book in the series.  Really, really good book and well worth reading.

I bought this book for my own enjoyment and these words are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...